Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Homemade Kaya

 This is the amount of the kaya I got from 3 eggs. 

I have been wanting to make kaya for a long time but the thought of the tedious preparation time always puts me off.  It is so easy for us to just buy a small plastic container for only about RM3-RM6  depending on the quality.  Anyway I finally did it yesterday but it only took me less than an hour as I made a very small portion.  3 large eggs, santan from one coconut (I bought 2 packets of those ready squeezed santan from the market) and 240gm sugar which is too sweet. Being too lazy to extract the juice from the pandan leaves, I just put in 8 pieces into the kaya and remove them when it is ready.   Have to lessen the sugar the next round as I find it too sweet.   I made my kaya in a double boiler.  I didn't steam the kaya though.

I feel my kaya needs improvement even though my friend and colleagues say otherwise.  It doesn't have the eggy taste which I like. 

The basic estimation of the ingredients I got from my f riend  would be:-

10 eggs
1 kati sugar (600 gm)
Santan (coconut milk) from 3 coconuts
Juice from pandan leaves (screwpine leaves)

Method

1)     Combine the eggs and sugar and stir with a whisk until sugar dissolves.
2)     Sieve the above into a pot.  Add in the pandan juice.
3)     Cook the kaya over a pot of hot water and keep stirring all the time until it thickens to the consistency
        that you prefer. That would take approximately 2 hours.
4)    Cover the kaya and steam for 2 hours.

0 comments:

Post a Comment